Register an Overseas Death

Where a person dies outside of Australia their death should be formally registered in the country where it occurred and the relevant death certificate obtained from the registering authority of that country.

However Section 40 of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act WA (Act) states that:

If a person dies outside the Commonwealth (of Australia) and the person:

(a) is domiciled or ordinarily resident in the State; or
(b) leaves property in the State,

the death may be registered under this Act.

Please Note:

From time to time situations may arise where the overseas death certificate may not be accepted in Western Australia when dealing with the estate of the deceased.

In these situations please contact the Registry for further advice.

Contact details

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Department of Justice
Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace
Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: (08) 9264 1599

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square
Perth WA 6850

Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Last updated: 8-Feb-2018

[ back to top ]