Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Point of Interest

Register a Birth

Why do I need to register my child’s birth?

The Registry is required to record all births occurring in Western Australia but can only do this where the parents complete and lodge a Birth Registration Form. It is important that this form is received as it is used to produce a birth certificate. A birth certificate is critical for your newborn to be officially recognised for a range of services and activities including:

  • School enrolment
  • Participation in organised sport
  • Obtaining a passport
  • Getting a driver’s licence
  • Opening a bank account
  • Gaining employment
  • Collecting government benefits
  • Getting married

Registration is a simple process, which if not completed, may lead to difficulties accessing public services such as Medicare and Centrelink services.

Registration of your child’s birth is free.  A commemorative or standard birth certificate can be ordered when completing the Birth Registration Form and on payment of the relevant fee.

The Registry maintains a permanent record of all Western Australian births if a birth certificate is required in the future.

How do I register my child’s birth?

The hospital or midwife will provide you with a Birth Registration Form with instructions that should be read carefully. If twin or triplet births you will be given a Birth Registration Form to be completed for each child.

Irrespective of whether you are married, both parents must complete and sign the Birth Registration Form and post it to the Registry. If only one parent has signed, he or she must attach a letter to the Registrar explaining why the other parent has not signed. In certain circumstances, the partner's details can be included without the signature of both parents.

If you are having difficulty completing the Birth Registration Form contact Registry staff on 1300 305 021.

Registering births from same sex relationships

From September 2002, women in a same sex relationship, who have undergone artificial fertilisation, may be recorded on their child’s birth registration provided both parents consented to the fertilisation procedure.  The hospital or midwife will provide you with a Birth Registration Form.

Privacy and Disclosure of Information

See Privacy and Disclosure of Information webpage.

Contact details

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Department of Justice
Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace
Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: (08) 9264 1599

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square
Perth WA 6850

Hours: 8.30 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Last updated: 21-May-2020

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.