Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Gender Reassignment

The Gender Reassignment Board deal with matters relating to a person's changed gender under the Gender Reassignment Act.

Recognition certificates are issued by the Gender Reassignment Board.

Where do I apply to amend my birth certificate?

Provided you were born in Western Australia, an application can be made to the Perth Registry to amend your birth certificate one month after the Gender Reassignment Board has issued your Recognition Certificate (download below).

If you were born in another State that has similar legislation, apply to the relevant Registry Office for your birth certificate.


Payment may be sent by:

  • Credit card (MasterCard or Visa only)
  • Cheque
  • Money order.

Cheques or money orders should be made payable to: Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

For more information contact:

Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
Department of Justice
Level 10, Westralia Square
141 St Georges Terrace

Hours: 8.30 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

To avoid the usual busy times consider visiting the Perth Registry between 8:30am to 10am or 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.

Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: 9264 1599

Post correspondence to:

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Department of Justice

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square

Last updated: 21-May-2020

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.