Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Apply for Certificates

Customer alert - online certificate companies

The WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is aware that some private companies have set up official-looking websites to charge people for downloading copies of birth, death and marriage forms or to assist with a certificate application process on payment of fees. The forms are available on this website for the public to download at no cost.

These companies have no affiliation with the Registry and any complaints about their operations should be directed to the WA Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety’s Consumer Protection division. 

A Western Australian birth, death, marriage or replacement change of name certificate is available from the Registry or various courthouse locations on application and payment of the relevant fee. If the birth, death, marriage or change of name occurred in another State, contact the relevant Registry Office.

Certificates will only be issued where:

Evidence-of-Identity Identification requirements

When applying for a certificate in person three forms of original evidence-of identity must be provided. Photocopies must be certified by a qualified person.

When applying by post, three forms of photocopied and certified evidence-of identity documents must be provided with your application. Do not post original documents. Further information is available on the evidence-of identity page.

When applying from overseas - The Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will consider current photocopied and certified overseas evidence-of-identity documents equivalent to those stated in the identification lists.

Further information is available on the Evidence-of-Identity Requirements page.

Certification requirements

Photocopies of evidence-of-identity documents will only be accepted if they are certified by a qualified person as being "true copies" of the original documents.

Which certificate do I need?

Birth Certificate

Commemorative Birth Certificate

Death Certificate

Marriage Certificate

Previous Change of Name Certificate

Single Status Certificate

Phone, fax, email or online applications

The Registry is unable to accept applications by phone, fax, email or online.

Legalising documents for use in overseas countries

Note: Some overseas countries require Australian documents to be authenticated. Refer to Smartraveller - Legalising Documents for further information on this requirement.

Last updated: 26-Jun-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.